Glastonbury Youth Council
The Glastonbury Youth Council meets fortnightly on the 1st and 3rd Thursday in the Month. (with recess in August) We meet in various locations in the community and work closely with Street’s Action 4 Youth. (Streets equivalent youth council).
The Youth Council is open to 11-19 year olds living or attending a youth group in the BA6 postcode area. The Youth Council is operated in partnership with Glastonbury Town Council, Mendip YMCA & Red Brick Building Youth.
What is the role?
The role of the youth council is to empower young people aged 11-19 to influence and inform the decisions that affect their lives. We support young people to get involved in their communities and democracy locally, making a difference as volunteers, campaigners, decision-makers and leaders.
How do we do that?
* Improve Town resources for young people
* Raise the profile and awareness of an identified issue or campaign important to young people i.e. Youth Parliament 2018 campaigns are lowering the voting age to 16 and a curriculum for life
* Consult with the young people of Glastonbury. (Annually via questionnaire and verbally throughout the year)
* Organise youth events
* Attend a youth council stirring group meeting to promote the needs of our community.
* Take part and promote the ‘Make Your Mark Campaign’
* Raise the profile of the Youth Council and the overall perception of young people within the community.
* Link with neighbouring youth councils and work on joint campaigns
What are the benefits of being a youth council member?
You gain experience and develop many new skills.
It helps to grow your confidence.
It prepares you for employment and develops your CV.
It gives you the opportunity to make a real difference to the town you live in.
You can work towards a number of achievement awards that you can add to a portfolio to show future employers.
The Youth Council is supported by the Youth Provision Committee of the Town Council and on occasion is invited to send a representative to Council Meetings.
They also have a Facebook Page
or can be emailed on email@example.com